Donegal Youth Service is managed by a voluntary Board of Directors. The Board is made up of volunteers from the youth and community sector and interested parties with specialisms in law, management, finance, education, disadvantage, employment and youth. DYS actively encourage youth participation at Board level.
Board members are duly nominated and elected at the Annual General Meeting usually held in April or May. It is a policy of DYS that one third of the Board stand down each year to allow for new people coming on board. Once elected the Companies Office is informed of the new Directors and of any resignations, to keep in line with best practice and Company Law. Board member’s personal details are lodged with the Companies Office as well as any other Directorships they are involved in. The Officer positions are Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Treasurer and Company Secretary.
The Board is subdivided into sub groups (Committees) to deal with Finance, Staffing, Policy and the Donegal Youth Service Community Employment Scheme. From time to time sub groups are formed to deal with a specific issue – these may operate on a short term basis – once an issue is resolved the subgroup is dissolved. Board meetings are held every month (except August) with Finance Committee meetings prior to the Board meeting.
The 2022 the Board of Directors of Donegal Youth Service is:
- Chairperson:Frank Dooley: Frank is a retired secondary school principal.
- Company Secretary:Ciaran Maguire: Ciaran is the Manager of the St Vincent De Paul Centre for Homeless people in Letterkenny.
- Vice Chairperson: Marina Carlin: Marina’s background is in education. Marina works as a Teacher in Buncrana Secondary School.
- Director:John Byrne: John is the Treasurer with Doneyloop Youth Club.
- Director: Aoife Louise McCullough: Aoife is Director with Lifford Clonleigh Resource Centre and a qualified Social Worker
- Director: Shaun Dorrian: Shaun is the Chairperson for Fanad Youth Club
- Director: Ciaran Coyle; Ciaran is a longstanding member of Club Oige Chriost Ri
- Director: Stephen O Donnell; Stephen was a longstanding member of Planet Youth in Ballybofey and is now a member of the committee
- Director: Bebhinn Mullins; Bebhinn is the Manager of Clomany Community Centre
- Director: Seán Ó Longáin: Seán is the retired CEO of County Donegal VEC (now ETB) who is a practising Barrister and is also qualified as both an Arbitrator and Mediator.
The Donegal Youth Service actively encourages people to serve on the voluntary Board and is happy to receive nominations or applications for co-option at any time. All DYS Board members are subject to Garda Vetting and are required to take Child Protection Training as part of their induction/personal development training.