Donegal Youth Council
The Donegal Youth Council is made up of 33 young people from every corner of Donegal, from each of the 26 secondary schools in the County and from the different youth clubs and organisations from around the county like Foroige and the Donegal Travellers Project.
On the 9th of November 2016 the newly elected council held their Agenda Day. There were 99 young people in attendance and they spent the day voting on the issues they feel passionate about. The issues that were chosen for the youth council to work on during their 2 year term were:
The issues that the 8th (2016-2018) Donegal Youth Council are working on are:
- Sport recognition for girls
- Sexual Health and Education
- Facilities for young people (the hygiene and maintenance of them)
- Body image
The Council meet monthly. They plan and discuss these issues and how they can address them. They also have smaller Regional meetings at which they discuss and work on more regional issues that may not be on the agenda.
Some examples of previous projects the Council worked on are:
- The Sparks Road Show in 2014 which dealt with mental health.
- The Road Safety Radio advertisements that we have been running since 2015 and are continuing to work on. Which deal with many issues affecting road users like drink driving and the rally weekend. The Council won a leading lights award for their road safety radio advertisements. The Leading Lights awards recognise and honour the contribution made by people nationwide in reducing deaths and serious injuries on our roads.
- Creating Videos and posters to raise awareness for things like the Young Carers.
- Doing surveys and making handbooks on things like Web Safety for young people.
What did young people have to say about the Donegal Youth Council?
I got to work on initiatives that are real and are affecting young people. I got to make a difference which has helped me with public speaking and communication. My time on the youth council was unforgettable.
My time on the Donegal Youth Council has been a once in a lifetime experience. The skills I have developed within my two years have been second to none.
It was amazing to be able to represent all of my peers on the youth council. I have taken so much from my two years on the youth council.
For more information about Donegal Youth Council, you can call DYC Coordinator Carlyn Maguire on: (074) 91 29630, e-mail email@example.com, or check out the DYC page on the national Comhairle Na Nog website.
Donegal Youth Council is funded by the Donegal County Council, HSE Health Promotion and the Department of Children & Youth Affairs